Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, October 8, 2007

Chicago Marathon 2007

Well, I did it. I accomplished a lifetime goal....and I'm so glad to be DONE! This coming Saturday, I can sleep in past 6am!!!! No more long runs that start too early!


Incase you don't have facebook and didn't read my note posted there, they ended up cancelling the race due to the heat. There were about 10,600 or so that started but didn't finish due to people passing out, injury, dehydration, etc. I think they decided it was serious when one man died (they just posted that the cause of his death wasn't the heat but a heart condition he didn't know he had) and they ran out of ambulances. I was fortunate to make it to the finish (4 hours 21 minutes) before they forced people to stop. Overall, even though the end was sad since a lot of people couldn't finish what they started, it was a great experience. The crowds were so fun cheering us on....I forgot I was running for the first 14 or so miles because everyone was yelling for us (along with the bands, cheerleaders, dancers, Elvis, etc. that was performing on the roadside). For those of you who might do a marathon someday...this is a great one. The expo the day before was fun and full of samples and free stuff, and the pasta dinner was delicious.


We were thankful that our friend Jenny let us stay at her place on the north side of town, and we even became pros with riding the bus and trains. Our husbands found us after the race....and they took us out for lunch at a diner called, "Eleven." It's a great place if you haven't tried it. We had to walk up stairs to get to our table....and we looked liked idiots because we couldnt' bend our knees ahahha. Afterwards, we went back to gather our stuff and missed the metra train. The next one wasn't for two hours, so I also got to eat yummy pizza and hang out in Millenium park. Ryanne and I looked like bums because we laid on the park benches...ahaha we were so tired and sore!


OK, i know that was all very choppy and not full of detail that I should probably give, but I"M SO TIRED! Here are a few pictures.....
Us and Hal Higdon...the most famous man of marathon running. We used his training program to get ready for the marathon...(he told me he liked my neclace ahahah)

Us at the expo....16 hours and 1 minute until race time...




After the marathon coming back on the metra....we were so tired. Aren't we cute!? ahaha jk


Ryanne pinning her number on....she did mine next because I was so nervous and couldn't get it to be in the middle of my tank! ahahahahh What a good friend!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girl I am so proud of you!!! Can't wait to visit with you.

Talk to you soon!
Debbie Brownlow